Thursday, August 31, 2006

FMLA drama. 02/26/04

Well, let me tell ya. Today was the day from you know where. I never would have imagined that my employer could be so hard to deal with. The entire time that I've worked in the Lab we have been able to make up our time if we were out. This is what I'd been doing all along. I'd have to leave to chase down papers, I would take a lunch or I'd stay over. Well, apparantly someone's been abusing the fact that we have that option and the employee's down on the floor are complaining. So we get an email from our boss in the Lab that no more flex time. I broke down in tears and went into his office and asked if that meant I was just going to have to take points whenever I had to leave for the adoption process. Looks like it. At this rate I won't have a job by the time we get all of this done.

Luckily my Daddy was there for me to cry on his shoulder and we started looking for a solution. I had already been told my HR and Michael's HR that we would not be eligible for FMLA until after the adoption was final. WTF?? I had approached HR again before I ran crying to Dad to see if there was anything that could be done. Nope. We got on the FMLA site and printed out the rules of FMLA. Turns out that it covers anything up to and including the adoption that relates to the process. I mean I had been told by 2 different people that that wasn't the case. They never even offered to look up "policy". It was just going to be because they said so. Dad and I drug out the BIG yellow highlighter and made the important information very noticiable. If you know what I mean and I marched my butt straight to HR and laid it on her desk and asked her what she thought about that. I thought she was going to swallow her tounge. Needless to say FMLA papers were signed and all was right with the world again. For now anyway.

No comments: